Sunday, June 16, 2019

Moments When We Feel Helpless


A friend called, her voice ragged and shaken. “Mike got crushed inside his car. The jaws of life had to get him out. He’s hurt bad! My son might not live.”

Helplessness.

I rejoiced when my daughter called to say she was pregnant. Every month, after her pregnancy checkup, my daughter would call. We thanked God for this precious new life who would be part of our family. Seeing my daughter’s name come up on the phone, I eagerly picked it up, “Hey, Sweetie! How are you feeling today?” There’s a kind of silence, a deafening silence, that a Mama’s heart picks up on. “What’s wrong?” Through sorrow filled hiccups, my daughter voiced, “I went to the doctor. Oh, Mama, my baby’s dead.”

Helplessness. 

After many attempts to reconcile with her sister, May finally received a letter from her. May was so excited she ripped the envelope open and pulled out the note. In large letters were scrawled words of stinging finality.  “Do not try to contact me again.”

Helplessness.

The doctor twitched in his chair, staring at a stack of paper. A crushing silence heated the room. He felt his hands shake. Across from him sat a woman he had taken care of since she was a college student. He was invited to her wedding. He dropped by the hospital when her first child was born. Looking up at her, he saw a pain-stricken face and took a deep breath. He knew she needed him to give her good news. She had been through a tough year managing her husband’s sickness and recent death. But the news he had to deliver was hard. “Susan, the tests confirm that you have breast cancer.” She threw her hand over her mouth and cried, “No.” 

Helplessness.

I just finished reading a book, Before We Were Yours, that kept me feeling helpless right up until the end. At times my heart raced, and I felt sick at my stomach. I wanted a resolution. I needed the feeling of utter despair to end. But I could not put that book down. I had to find out what happened. I wanted to know the ending.

Have you ever been in a situation where you felt utterly helpless?

On the afternoon of May 31, 2019, a young man opened fire at the Municipal Building in Virginia Beach, Virginia killing twelve people. Helplessness etched itself on the hearts of many people leaving them broken and unable to think past a horrendous, needless slaughter. 

Since then the news has highlighted individuals who pushed through their panic and fear to serve and comfort those around them. We want to hear these stories. We need to hear these stories in times of disaster and human suffering. 

Our faith teaches us that God never leaves nor forsakes us. God was at the crime scene. He walked through the horror to make sure no one was left alone. We have this blessed assurance, as comfort that goes beyond human understanding. 

As prayers have gone up for the victims of this tragedy, the community has been blessed by witnessing the outpouring of mercy and love long after the shooting. Love and support for the victims and their families reigned as establishments raised banners with Virginia Beach Strong on their billboards. Virginia Beach Strong was also painted across store fronts and doorways. Virginia Beach Strong was written on car windows. Clergy, prayer warriors, support groups, and grief counselors were in place quickly to help all who sought help.

Over the past two weeks, I’ve been intentionally focused on the word “helpless” and the moments when we feel helpless. It was like reading that book; I needed a resolution for the pain and heartbreak. I wanted to know the outcome would be okay. Then I remembered my go-to verse, the one that always centered me when I feel helpless. 

2 Chronicles 20:12 states, “We do not know what to do, but we look to You.”

It’s all about You, Father. It’s not about us. 

Get God-centered.

God’s word is filled with men and women who have cried out in helplessness, begging God to intervene and ease their fear and hopelessness. As they lament, they begin to recall and remember all God’s promises and provisions that go beyond a physical deliverance to a profound knowledge of God’s spiritual rescue when we seek His face.

In Psalm 119, David sought to understand God’s ways in the midst of human questioning, suffering, and turmoil. It’s the longest chapter in the Bible. I’m not surprised, given the content, that it wasn’t longer.

As I studied Psalm 119, I felt the rich tones of David’s confession and cries to God. In helplessness, fear, and dismay, David sought understanding. But human understanding does not satisfy. Our emotions often wall us up and away from spiritual understanding. Only God’s words and His provisions can quench the troubling sorrow and helplessness our heart, mind, and soul feel.

David’s cry in Psalm 119 is powerful. I think you will feel a deep connection to the psalmist’s cry. David recognizes in vs. 145-176 that he needs to confess to God that he is helpless. Then David realizes he has to make time with God in order to keep his focus centered on the Father. David consistently asks for God to revive him according to God’s will. Recalling and remembering God’s word, promise, and provision brings helplessness under our Helper’s control.

God has gone further by providing more to bolster you during moments of helplessness, despair, and turmoil. It’s found in Ephesians 6:10-18. God has given you a battle plan, verses to remember in any situation where you need extra strength and protection. Bind these words on your heart, mind, and soul. Remember.

“Only God can ease the agony and cries of the human heart, not with logic bearing human reasoning, but words filled with sacred promises and mighty declarations of love.” (unknown)

I’ve also attached my favorite verses that help center me in times of helplessness. All you have to do is copy and paste link in browser to view or copy and print.

God bless you always,
Angela, Virginia Beach Strong
Living Life Through Faith







No comments:

Post a Comment