Thursday, August 25, 2016

Olympics Of Life

Watching the Olympics over the last two weeks has made me acutely aware of how much life investment has been made. But getting to the Olympics does not mean their challenge is over. It’s the apex of all they have worked for. Each athlete knows how important it is to finish the race and cross the line.

I marveled watching athletes from across the globe persevere in their fields of competence. You could see the struggle and determination branded in each face. As I watched them, I was inspired to push harder in my life challenges.

Here we are just days away from the Olympics and I wonder if I can capture a semblance of what those athletes gave the world. Those men and women who gave it all. They ran the race and stayed the course.

But . . . do I? How often do I begin something and lose interest? How often do I decide it’s too hard and give up? How often do I look at others and feel I can never achieve what they can and walk away?

Too often. Way too often.

That’s tragic in and of itself, but how often do I berate myself over not finishing goals and spending years piling up one failure after another, beating myself up until I am inept at finishing even everyday mundane chores and objectives.

More than I want to admit to.

Traveling through God’s Word reminds me that I’m not alone in my struggle with perseverance or achievement. Many struggle in their quest to know Jesus better, to spread the Good News, and minister to others. The apostle Paul felt he couldn’t possibly do what was needed to be done for Christ. He asked, “Who is adequate for these things?” (2 Corinthians 2:16 NASB)

But Paul looked beyond his limitations to God’s sufficiency, declaring “Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think of anything as being from ourselves, but our sufficiency is from God.” (2 Corinthians 3:5 KJV)

God’s guidance and presence is what makes the race of life possible. Paul assures us in Philippians 4:13 that we “can do all things through Him who strengthens” us.

So I’m on Team Jesus, and I’m asking you to join me to run the race set for us by Jesus Christ. We are all runners. We may not be competing, but we’re after the eternal goal: heaven. We aren’t running aimlessly or fighting like a boxer beating the air (1 Corinthians 9:26), we know what to do. We keep running for Jesus.

Our race is worth every moment of investment: studying the Bible, reaching out to others, teaching, listening, loving, praying, and pushing every faith muscle we have to exhaustion. We’re running with Jesus. What a wonderful thought!

Okay . . . Team Jesus is ready to roll!!! The race is worth the effort. Do you see the finish line?

Remember: “Overwhelming victory is ours through Christ who loved us enough to die for us.” (Romans 8:37)

God bless you all,

3 comments:

  1. This is so true and the wonderful thing about running a race or competing in the sport is our team mates encourage along the way. If it wasn't for someone telling me, I'm praying for you or giving me a word of encouragement along the way, I might just throw in the towel.

    Angela, keep on fighting the good fight of faith. I can see the finish line ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the analogies you use Angela - I'm on Team Jesus with you, even though sometimes I just "warm the bench" !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Charge on! I'm running with you! ❤️

    ReplyDelete