Monday, June 20, 2016

Love Never Forsakes

Last year my heart broke when Dylann Roof on June 17, 2015 walked into a Charleston, SC church and began shooting. In less than a year, there have been many more shootings. Mass shootings are described as four or more people shot in one incident. It’s becoming more frequent and more deadly.

On June 12, 2016, in the wee hours of the morning at an Orlando, Florida nightclub, the deadliest mass shooting attack in American history occurred.

I was brokenhearted. For the lives lost, and the man who did this atrocious act of violence. Every deceased person had someone that loved them, and their hearts are broken, too.

On Tuesday, I was standing in line at a store when I overheard a conversation on the shooting. It was ugly and mean. There seemed to be little remorse for the victims, and an almost acceptance of the tragedy. Their laughter caught me off-guard as they speculated that maybe a Muslim could have killed people based on their sexual preference or orientation.

At first, I got sick at my stomach. I knew these people went to area churches. But the absolute worst thing was, for just a moment, I leaned in and let Satan tip my ear to hear their horrible accusations. It was an ungodly conversation with ungodly thoughts. I’m so blessed that I immediately took my thoughts captive, reigning them back under God’s authority.

Folks, John 13:34-35 states:


“Love one another; as I have loved you.”

Jesus does not segregate or isolate a particular people. He said, “Love one another; as I have loved you.” It’s all inclusive. It doesn’t say “leave out the sinner” because if we did that we would have to eliminate everyone, including ourselves.

This mass killing and all the other heinous acts committed across our vast land have left people devastated. Their loved ones are dead. Murder has left fear in the hearts of many. Some wonder if their lives will ever be the same again.

Jesus asks us to love one another as He loves not to justify a killing or a killer’s intentions. There is no justification.

We have to keep our eyes on God, not on sin. We have to preach the good news of the gospel to our hearts first in order to remind ourselves how much Jesus sacrificed for all of us.

At church on Sunday, the Praise Band played Meredith Andrews song, “Not For A Moment”. The words are so right to sing over God’s children who are deceased, and to those who feel they have been left in a dry and thirsty land, wondering how they can possibly move forward.

They can, but it’s with God’s mercy, love, and grace. They need our outpouring of love and prayers.


Hope you are able to view the video and let the words sink deep into your soul. We’ve all been in the throes of heartbreak. Let our heart always break for the things that breaks Jesus’ heart.

Go to: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XD0cvWImVjA

Not for a moment will God forsake us. God bless you,

"

1 comment:

  1. "There's not a moment" He isn't with us. Too often one may doubt that, myself included, even tho I know better. Evil all around snatches at us & tries to pull us down with it.
    Surround yourself with His Love and disburse it everywhere you can. He'll be with you all the way.

    ReplyDelete