Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Salt Life


Yesterday I was behind a slow moving car, S L O W, I felt myself get edgy; I turned off the music because that was bothering me in this long drawn out drive to the grocery store to buy two items. (I hope that long sentence gave you the same feeling!)

Just as my left leg began to twitch, I noticed the words “Salt Life” on the back glass of the car in front of me. God punched me, and I stilled.

Salt Life.

Christians have a salt life. The Bible tells us we are the “salt of the earth”. As a cook, I know it doesn’t take a lot of salt to season the whole pot. I remembered my mother had on a pot of beef stew cooking and the aroma had filled the house with its savory scent. When Mama called me into the kitchen to help, it was not to fill up the bowls, but to grab four potatoes. The stew was too salty. She knew the potatoes would absorb the salt and make the stew more edible.

Have you ever been in a situation that was just “too salty” for your taste. I know I have. And I’ve been very uncomfortable.

Years ago in a writing class, a fellow writer chastised a woman for bringing in a Christian story, saying he was offended since he was an atheist. Several other writers began to grumble. But one lone person raised her voice high, “Well, if she can’t read her delightful stories of joy, I insist those of you who objected cannot read your stories of woe.” Everyone shut up. I found out later that the woman who took a stand was an elder in her church. She was the potato in an over-salted pot. Too much salt ruins the stew.

The presence of even one believer can hinder sin, delay judgment, prompt conviction, and extend the Kingdom of God. They can temper a situation.

In Acts 27, Paul and two companions were believers on board a ship during a violent storm. Through their words and faith in God, they saved 276 protesters who finally opened their ears to hear.

Think about the odds against Elijah on Mount Carmel. The odds were 450 to 1. That’s slim pickings! But one plus God is a mighty majority!!!

Salt life.

"You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled underfoot.” Matthew 5:13

One life can season and change everything around them. Think about this. What pot do you need to season today? Your anger? Your self-doubt? Your unhappiness? Your lack of joy? Or is it someone you love? Do they need a little seasoning?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment