Friday, May 8, 2015

Rose for Mother's Day


Today I was going through a folder of articles that I had saved. At the back was the following story. It touched my heart. Don’t be dismayed at the ending. It’ll give you an opportunity to imagine what happened next. I’m always filled with hope.


A Rose for Mother’s Day

Danielle stopped at a flower shop to order some flowers to be wired to her mother who lived two hundred miles away. As she got out of her car, she noticed a young girl sitting on the curb sobbing.

She asked the girl what was wrong and she replied, “I wanted to buy a red rose for my mother, but I only have seventy-five cents. A rose costs two dollars.”

Danielle smiled and said, “Come on in with me. I’ll buy you a rose.”

She bought the girl a rose and ordered her mother flowers. As they were leaving Danielle offered the girl a ride home.

“Yes, please! You can take me to my mother,” she stated.

Directing the woman to a nearby cemetery, the young girl led her down a narrow lane, asking her to stop when they reached a small marble tombstone. The girl got out of the car and rushed over to place the rose on a freshly dug grave.

Seeing her shoulders heave in sorrow, Danielle got out of the car, and walked up to the child. Not knowing how to help or what to do, she stood in silence. Glancing at the words on the tombstone, her heart sank.

                        Mary Lou Jenkins

                        Mother to the Motherless.

 

The woman stooped down next to the child, placing her hand on the youngster’s shoulder. “I’m so sorry. Was this your mother?”

The young girl looked up at Danielle. Tears streamed down her face. “Ms. Mary helped out at the foster home where I live. We all called her mother. Two months ago, Ms. Mary asked if I would like to be her daughter, but she got sick and died before she could adopt me. Ms. Mary will forever be my mother. Sunday is Mother’s Day. I had to get the rose for her.”

Danielle reached over and hugged the girl. Her heart felt burdened. Danielle and her husband had lost their only child many years ago. In fact, their child would have been about the age of this child.

Lifting the girl’s face she said, “I’ve got an idea. Let’s check in with your foster parent and see if you can have dinner with my husband and me.

Raising her arm up to wipe tears away, she smiled. “That would be great.”

“By the way, what’s your name?” Danielle asked.

“Emily.”

Danielle felt her heart sink. Her deceased daughter’s name was Emily. Not being able to say anymore, Danielle led Emily back to the car. From there, they drove to the foster parent’s home and got permission to take Emily to her home for dinner.

Joe met Danielle at the door, “I was getting worried about you!” Noticing the young girl beside her, he asked, “Well, who is this?”

Danielle pulled the child in front of her, announcing, “This is my new friend. We got permission from her foster mother for her to have dinner with us.”

Joe reached down, extending a hand of welcome. “Well, what’s your name, little one?”

“Emily.”

Joe looked up at Danielle in disbelief. Tears filled his eyes. And then he smiled.
********************************************************************************
 
God bless you. If your mother’s still living, call her. Go visit with her. Let her know you cherish her. If you know a child who has lost a parent, reach out to them. I’ve been honored to be called mother by many children who were not mine that have come into my home and felt loved.

From me to you, Happy Mother’s Day!!!

 




2 comments: