Monday, February 15, 2016

Praying: Standing Strong In Adversity

This morning began like any other morning. I stumbled out of bed and headed for the coffee pot. And as I do every morning, I picked up my cellphone to send a love message to the grandchildren before they headed off to school. Before I could finish my task, a drop down menu on my phone caught my eye, “Pinterest comment to your post.” I finished my last little text and went over to email. I opened it and saw this note:

“Ever noticed how praying does absolutely nothing”

Chills went up and down my arms. I felt, a presence of loss, a loss of hope. My next response was to wonder what pin I had posted that would illicit such a response. Here’s the pin.




What if we all prayed for America? Why would this incite someone to post that kind of comment? What did they hope to gain from it?

After checking out the pin, I realized it had been posted several months ago on my board “Pray for America.” A cold chill ran up my back. It was happening again. Those same feelings I had that pushed me to write my last book, Cries of Innocence. That was more about the presence of evil. This one felt more like a loss of hope. But I couldn’t keep my chest from aching.

I regret that I went back to the comment post and tapped on the name of the sender which opened up their Pinterest account. As soon as it opened up, I understood why I had been troubled. The page was filled with horrible apocalyptic pictures, depicting evil warriors in the middle of mass destruction and total annihilation. Evil . . . where there is no hope.

I immediately shut down the page.

“Blessed is the one who does not walk in step with the wicked or stand in the way that sinners take or sit in the company of mockers…” Psalm 1:1

I went around for hours praying over the person. I could have sent back an innocuous line like, “Prayer is my lifeline.” But you know what, I think, after looking at the horror on their Pinterest page that anything I could have said would have only provoked retaliation.

I must recognize that Satan is on the prowl. He is the master at creating havoc, instilling fear in the weak, especially God’s people. A lot of older women, like myself, would have seen the evil on that person’s Pinterest page and run for the hills in fear. Not me.

Mark 9:29  And he said to them, “This kind cannot be driven out by anything but prayer.”

That’s what spiritual warfare is. God’s Word says we are more than overcomers through Christ that lives within us.

Prayer honors God. And in turn, God honors His children. Even when we give up on God, God never gives up on us; not even the person who sent the comment and was driven to post horrific pins on their Pinterest sight.

Prayer is a shield to the soul, a sacrifice to God,
 and a scourge for Satan. ~ John Bunyan

Prayer – secret, fervent, believing prayer –
lies at the root of all personal godliness.  ~ Williams Carey

Prayer is the key to Heaven,
But faith unlocks the door. ~Anonymous

I am praying for this person. I know the power of prayer, speaking God’s Word over this individual. I’ve been the recipient of prayer many times. I know there is evil in this world; I am not naïve. As a spiritual warrior, I know how to battle this kind of foe.



“Stand firm! Put on the belt of truth and buckle it around your waist to counter a culture of lies.

Attach the breastplate of righteousness in place,

and with your feet fitted with readiness that comes from the gospel of peace.

Then pick up your shield of faith to extinguish the flaming arrows the evil one will hurl at you.

Don’t forget your helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit which is the Mighty Word of God.” (paraphrased from Ephesians 6)

And pray fervently, storm Heaven with requests, and wrestle to bring forth prayers from the Throne Room.

If we are quiet in how we feel about Jesus, our faith, and our country, we are handing it all over to the enemy on a silver platter.


Power up with prayer! God be with you,

No comments:

Post a Comment