Thursday, July 16, 2015

Happenstance Meeting? Maybe not.




July 4th was beautiful. The downtown Washington, NC waterfront held an exceptional charm—Carolina blue skies, boats careening slowly down the Pamlico River, a warm breeze, and Saturday morning market! Fruits, vegetables, local honey, cut flowers, fresh baked breads, cookies, pies, apple chips, mango salsa and more. The smells, aromas, and local flavor felt welcoming. People chatted. Dogs barked. Soft tones of music drifting in from anchored boats completed the coastal tone.

As I went up to each vendor’s table, I talked. Couldn’t help myself! Then I spied a couple sitting at the back, away from everyone. I walked past them at first, and then walked back, going right up to their table. On my way, I decided to ask them who to contact about setting up a table. Someone had put the notion in my head that I should sell my books there over the summer. I got the information and left.

Dallas, Ms. Lillie (our Boston terrier), and I continued perusing down the waterfront area. But I kept having this nagging feeling to go back to see that couple. I wanted to thank them for their warm smiles and check out what was on their vendor’s table. 

On our way back through the market area, I asked Dallas to wait while I thanked the couple. Their warm smiles greeted me again. After giving my belated thank you, I asked them to tell me about the flyers on their table. They were one of the pioneer leaders in getting funding for the Washington Waterfront Underground Railroad Museum. Naturally I was intrigued.

Our conversation went from Civil War activities to the civil unrest today. From their dialoguing, I knew we were kindred spirits in faith. We talked openly and honestly about the persecution and suffering Christians are facing today in the world. In doing so it brought up the persecution of African American slaves and how the Underground Railroad system saved many lives. We talked about the persecution of the Jews during World War II. I shared with them that I would not be here today had it not been for the perseverance and faith of my ancestors who were held in concentration camps in Nova Scotia and later deposited in swamps in uninhabited areas of Louisiana. Odds of their survival were minimal. But they did, as did all the others.

Verses of scripture wrapped around our heads as we declared the battle was God’s, but we better armor up for the days ahead. And I said to them what I said in an earlier post, while we are on earth Christians must link together as the body of Christ, red and yellow, black and while, and stand firm and tall. More than ever we need to be disciple makers and go to the ends of the earth to tell others about Jesus who gave His all so that all who believe in Him will not perish but have everlasting life.

“Therefore, my dear brothers and sisters, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain.” 1 Corinthians 15:58

Never pass up a nudging from the Holy Spirit to talk. You never know who God will place in your path.
God bless you!

No comments:

Post a Comment